Thursday, June 07, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

It was so wonderful being with both of my Mothers this year for Mother's Day. What amazing, wonderful, aspiring example for me as now I have become a mother. I truly love them.

 My mom is so special to me! We've always had a great relationship, even through the rocky years, she loved and encouraged me. I remember writing her little notes all the time, drawing her pictures and have found one of my daughters does the same:) I'm so glad for all the lessons she has taught me and helped me start to become the person I am today.

My husband has always dreaded this day. The day that men are supposed to read their wive's mind and cater to her every whim? Travis hasn't done so hot with the mind-reading thing. But he's learning :) I have one year said I don't like getting flowers, so that is my fault why I never get them. I have also said No breakfast in bed (those of you who know me well will understand a morning wake-up is not my cup of tea), and yes he has remembered that as well. :) So even though I was bummed with no morning greeting of hot breakfast in bed, or flowers decorating the table, I was greeted with hard working kids cleaning the kitchen, showered with hugs, cards, gifts they made and helped Dad pick out, a delicious meal with both of my moms there and a relaxing day as a family. I can never ever say that Travis doesn't try so hard to make me happy. He does everything in hi power to do so and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Bubby boy loves Dad with all his might, but he loves Mom with all his heart. His moods are set by mine and his tender soul needs my nurturing daily, even if it's just a little touch or head nuzzle. We laugh together like no one else and when he does things for me he goes beyond what I ask.
 Part of our nightly routine was saying "I love you more than..." and we come up with new things to express our love. He'd say things like "I can't say I love you more than people" or "that wouldn't be fair if I said I love you more than someone else." I'm sitting here thinking uh Yes you can!!! He struggled on clever ideas and after talking to Travis (he had Ethan's back as he also admitted it was quite hard to think of new things every night that would touch a girl's heart) I had a new found sympathy for this little guy as he would look around his room for something that he loved LESS than me, like his toy airplane or his books. But to my surprise the longer we did this, the more creative and heartfelt he became. Now I get "I love you more than the stars in the skies" or "I love you more than race cares" and I know they are hard for him to think of and are things he really does treasure. All I can do is smile and think like a boy to tell him that "I love him more than all the speed bumps on all the roads in the whole wide world" and he beams and puckers his cute big lips to kiss mine.


 My sweet Kaylin. Oh this girl knows Mommy's love language. She can sense my frustration and rises to the occasion by cleaning something messy quickly, helping with Ashlynn or just giving me hugs or an empathetic "I understand Mom". She is my constant, obedient, empathetic, sweet heart. She loves being touched and cuddled with, and though she gets sad occasionally when I can't dote on her every need, we have a simple connection where she knows I love her and that it's much simpler because I don't need to give her attention of physical needs. There's a song on the radio that I dedicate and sing to her all the time. She blushes and thinks it untrue but I sing it to her anyway and usually I end up having a lump in my throat and try hard not to cry like a baby!
 Oh, her eyes, her eyes, make the stars look like they're not shining
Her hair, her hair, falls perfectly without her trying 
She's so beautiful, and I tell her every day

Yeah, I know, I know, when I compliment her she won't believe me
And it's so, it's so, sad to think that she don't see what I see
But every time she asks me do I look ok, I say

When I see your face, there's not a thing that I would change
Cause you're amazing, just the way you are
And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while
Because girl you're amazing, just the way you are(yeah)

My little mika-moo. She is my little shadow, my little companion. She will give me the sweetest kisses and the biggest hugs, squeezes so tight and never lets go. She is so polite and loves to make mom happy by speaking kindly to her family and obeying. She is so independent but needs reassurance from those around her that she trusts. 



They always say Marry someone who is nice to their mother, that's how they'll treat you. Travis loves his mother dearly. He is quite, never chatty, but would do anything for her and always gives the benefit of the doubt and has faith in all she says. A wonderful thing that Travis got from Vicki is how quickly she forgives. He may fuss and be upset, but usually doesn't quite know what's really wrong and it takes something quick and simple to fix it (like a loving touch) and the worry is no longer there. There are many others, but this I am truly grateful for :)

1 comment:

Grandma Sharp said...

Brittany, what a sweet, tender Mother's day blog. It is such a thrilling experience for me to read and watch you with your own children. Your greatest desire is to raise your children to be good, polite, sensitive and caring, and especially to have a deep and abiding love for the Savior and a desire to do what is right. I love you for making that your priority when the world tells you so many other options are more fun!